By: Emily Byers

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Ups and Downs

I'd like to take a moment for self-reflection on the night of the Superbowl.  The events of the 2009 season have caused several changes in my heart that I would like to address.

People I used to love and now can't stand:

1. Tony Dungy:  Dungy preaches redemption in one breath and becomes a mouthy tv commentator in the next.    Truthfully, what I don't like is that Dungy uses his ethos to elevate Michael Vick and make me seem un-Christian for saying he's a serial killer who deserves no second chance.  (Actually it would be the 152nd chance if you want to count each murdered puppy as a chance)  Dungy isn't Jesus and I'm right about Vick.

2.  Troy Aikman:  Aikman is not the least attractive of the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders.  His allegiance, however, has made him blind to his duties as an announcer.  I used to like Aikman as a nicer and more masculine foil to Joe Buck, but he doesn't seem to notice when the other team is playing in the game.  If you just want to go to the games and cheer, buy a ticket, Troy.

3. Roger Goodell:  Lifting Michael Vick's suspension early was in bad taste.  His punishments are inconsistent and he's backed off of being the strong hand the league really needed to turn around.

People I used to hate and now like ok (Love is such a strong word)

1. Ray Lewis:  I always thought he was scary and a bit evil.  Then I watched the ESPN documentary "It's all about the U" and I realized this was merely the physical representation of that thing called "swagger."  I also like that as a de facto coach Lewis seems to really care about his team.

2. Jon Gruden:  I thought he was foul tempered and obnoxious as the coach of Tampa Bay.  It's no coincidence that my softening toward him came on the wake of the probowl announcements when Gruden called Deangelo Williams "one of the best players he's ever seen."  Gruden has also become a soft spoken, intelligent anchor of Monday Night Football.  Lastly, Gruden's firing left Tampa Bay with a 3-13 record that could tickle any rival fan pink.

3. Bill Parcels:  He has been silent during his tenure in Miami and brought in Tony Sparano, who has a ties-to-the-mob thing going on.

People I was always right about:

1. Steve Young - powered on the sound of his own voice, Steve Young is over caffeinated and overbearing.

People I was wrong about:

1. Unfortunately, Jason Campbell.  I really wanted you to be good, sweetheart.

2 comments:

cathy said...

Amen on Vick! Gruden is still creepy chuckie to me!

Dave B said...

I knew it was to good to be true. The Dolphins can't even release a player the correct way.